The study’s subject matter was to examine the possibilities of constructing projects for the immediate reinforcement of the Athens water supply system with water from the Area of the Kifisos River in the Prefecture of Viotia , so as to counter the water famine problems in years 1990-1992. The projects that were eventually selected and studied for construction relate to the collection of water from the existing large public bores of the Ministry of Agriculture from the Sfaka area to Mavrovouni and the summer supplies of the Orchomenos and Poligira springs, and to channel those towards Lake Iliki .
The projects’ construction was planned in two stages (A and B) and include:
- the utilisation of water from 22 water bores (supplying between 400 m 3 /h and 1,1160 m 3 /h) and water from the Orchomenos springs;
- the construction of ten reinforced concrete reservoirs;
- the interconnection of the existing bores with these reservirs via steel pipes; – the construction of ten pumping stations in series; – the interconnection of the pumping stations with the construction of a transfer pipe from the Sfaka area to Lake Iliki, consisting of steel pipes with a total length of 75.40 km and a diameter ranging between 400mm and 2 x 1,300mm.
The study was carried out at an advanced preliminary stage. Based on this study and on the Tender Information Documents drafted by the Design Engineer, the Stage A projects were tendered and constructed. These include:
- the utilisation of water from twelve water bores (supplying between 400 m 3 /h and 950 m 3 /h) and water from the Orchomenos springs; – the construction of three reinforced concrete reservoirs;
- the interconnection of the existing bores with these reservoirs via steel pipes; – the construction of five pumping stations in series;
- the interconnection of the pumping stations with the construction of a transfer pipe from the Mavroneri area to the Orchomenos area, using steel pipes with a total length of 38.23 km and a diameter ranging between 400 mm and 2 x 1,300 mm ;
- five supply pumping stations;
7,200 m 3 /h,
1,650 m 3 /h,
14,060 m 3 /h,
15,160 m 3 /h,
23,740 m 3 /h.
The project study budget for Stage A is 6,215,000,000 drachmas, i.e. 18,240,000€ (1990). Notably, during the stage of project planning, and in addition to the main objective of dealing with the water famine, the projects were designed so that they could be integrated to future irrigation projects, after the immediate water famine issues had been resolved, following a proposal made by study coordinator I. Peppas. As is widely known, these projects have been constructed and are currently in operation (primarily the pipes) as means for irrigation, such as the reinforcement of the Kopaida Plain during the summer season with water from Mornos, the irrigation networks of Cheronia, the irrigation networks of Orchomenos, etc.